Marco Island History

Ten Thousand Islands

Take a boat to one of the Ten Thousand Islands off the coast of Naples, Marco Island and the Everglades.

Marco Island's beautiful, white crescent beach has attracted people in search of paradise for thousands of years. Long before the days of resort hotels, when the island's beach was surrounded on the east side by mangrove forests, the Calusa Indians settled the region and thrived for more than a thousand years.

The Calusa were accomplished artists, fashioning brightly painted clay masks that often resembled animals. One of the most important Native American artifacts ever discovered, the Key Marco Cat, was uncovered during an 1896 archeological expedition on the island led by Franklin Hamilton Cushing. The cat is a six-inch wooden statute that seems to be part feline, part human. The hardwood statue survived by virtue of being buried in oxygen-free muck.

The Key Marco Cat, now held at the Smithsonian, returned to Marco Island during a traveling exhibit in 2000. The Marco Island Historical Society is involved in an aggressive fund raising campaign with the goal of building a new museum on the island that will meet the strict Smithsonian guidelines for display and storage of such a priceless artifact. The society's ultimate goal is to return the cat to its ancestral home for permanent display.

Marco Island was settled in 1870 when Captain W. D. "Bill" Collier of Tennessee (no relation to Barron Gift Collier, the founder of Collier County) arrived in his schooner. During this era the island was occupied with the clamming and fishing industries. Captain Bill built The Olde Marco Inn on Palm Street in 1883. The original Inn now serves as a popular restaurant and the registration area for the renovated Olde Marco Island Inn & Suites.

The isolated island came more in contact with the outside world with the Olde Marco Ferry and a railroad link to the mainland in the 1920s. Back then visitors often traveled from Miami and elsewhere to visit Marco Island's crescent beach.

In the 1940s and 1950s, brothers Elliott, Robert and Frank Mackle dreamed of creating a "Hawaii of the East" on Marco Island. Their Deltona Corporation is largely responsible for creating most of the land on the island for home sites by dredging through the now protected mangroves to create canals and thousands of waterfront home sites.

Today Marco Island is both a resort island vacation spot and home to many year-round and seasonal residents. Less than a half-hour from nearby Naples, with shopping, dining and entertainment; and a 40-minute drive from the Everglades with its many opportunities for nature exploration, fishing and museum excursions, the island remains a tropical oasis perfect for an island getaway experience within the U.S.

Back to top of page
Read More »
Map It! Collier County Government Webaward Winner IAGTO - Golf Destination of the Year 2014 ACCREDITED - Destination Marketing Organization